I recently upgraded to a combo fish finder GPS unit. I was using a suction cup to hold the transducer to the side of the W but I noticed it would create drag and occasionally fall off. I tried several different methods to mount it in the inside of the W and shoot it through the hull, not so successfully. Again sometimes the simplest method works the best. I wish I would have tried this first. On YouTube tube I noticed a installation using duct seal. I purchased 1lb. at under $3.
Simply form a well at the bottom, lay transducer flat to surface , pinch some of the duct seal over it to hold in place. When you start kayaking simply put a slight amount of water in the well you formed to cover bottom of the transducer and start enjoying drag free readings. This duct seal sticks great, is waterproof, remains soft, and is portable. If you want to move it to another W simply peel off and reset it.
Finally managed to get into the water this weekend! Saturday was a solo venture but on Sunday I brought my daughter with me. It is all you told me it was. Given my lack of experience, I was shocked at how easy it was to get around. Even with my 5’7″ fourteen year old daughter with me it was VERY stable. She wants one of her own now. I told her she could practice with mine and if she wanted to get into it, we’d talk.
I also built a prototype dolly. Water is about 200 yards from my house and needed a way to role it over. See pics. Making revisions and will make the final build this weekend. Is just swings up out of the way when you get to the water. Going to go with some lighter wheels and get rid of the metal eye hooks, but the concept works great. Kinda heavy at this point, but the revisions should knock a few pounds off. It got me to the water, which is the point of a dolly.
Also started working on a “roof.” Its coming along great and will forward pics. I think it will be a nice way to keep the sun off me when our fishing.